GET READY: It's High School Boot Camp Week!
Are YOU up for the challenge?
I wanted to incorporate some cross training into my workout routine so I jogged my way over to the local high school.
Each day this week I will present to you a fun new way to change up your regular workout.
FIRST UP: Sprints
1. Go to any track.
For those of you in really hot places (Las Vegas for example) you can go to any recreational center and use a basketball court that has AC.
2. Walk four laps at a warm up speed.
3. Jog four laps at a moderate speed
4. Run four laps at a healthy pace where you are not sprinting but you can't carry on a conversation without losing your breath.
5. Here is where the work begins: Walk half way around the track and sprint full force ahead around the remaining half. Time yourself & write the times down. If you have a heart rate monitor record your max heart rate. Repeat the sprint cycle for 10 laps.
6. Run four more laps at a healthy pace where you are not sprinting but you can't carry on a conversation without losing your breath.
7. Jog eight laps at a moderate speed
8. Walk 10 laps to cool down
9. If you do this 2-3 times a week and record your sprint times and heart rate maximum you can see your sprint speed improve (as well as your overall pace for running). Pushing through your fitness threshold helps keep your body from plateauing.
Enjoy! More BOOT CAMP to come tomorrow!