Ok, so I'm kicking off Friday with a book review. But before I launch into Skinny Bitch can I just say I love the outfit I put on today? Total cost of the outfit was under $10 including the shoes! Not bad. Plus I love mixing patterns..
A few friends recommended the book Skinny Bitch....
After reading I now know I am definitely not a
Skinny Bitch kind of girl.
This book was on the New York best sellers list and I'm not sure it's because of the content but more about the clever title.
Here are 4 things I found useful from this book:
- Carbs are GOOD - Thank goodness! Giving up carbs is not something I care to do. Whole wheat pasta rocks.
- Know what you are eating - The message around knowing where you food came from was great. These women do a lot of research on the ingredients from the foods they are choosing to eat. Love that. They tell you to trust no one....not even them. I tend to agree. If there are too many ingredients in something I've never heard of I usually pass.
- Get rid of SODA people! - Soda both diet and regular are terrible for you and have NO nutritional value. Transitioning out of drinking soda for good is a good idea. Water still trumps all and not only keeps your hydrated but can aid in increasing metabolism.
- Meat intake - I'm not currently a vegetarian but was for about 5 years. I don't think I can give up meat for good but seriously reducing my intake is something I am seriously considering. A co worker of mine calls it a flexitarian. So as of today I am now a flexitarian which means I'll try and skip meat at least 4 days a week.
Here are 3 things from the book I thought were a little too crazy:
- Give up coffee???!! No thank you! That was at the beginning of the book and I almost put the book down for good at that point. They claim it wreaks havoc on your body. I work in the coffee industry and am likely to NEVER give up coffee. I'd be out of a job if I took a "no coffee" stance. If you are drinking one cup a day like I am it is very good for you. It's 98% water and has 0 calories! If you need it to stay awake then you might have a problem on your hands.....but in general one cup a day has never killed anyone or hindered them from reaching their fitness/weight loss goals.
- Fake Food- In their "Let's Eat" chapter all foods begin with the word FAKE. Fake chicken patty sandwich, fake egg sandwich, fake bacon, fake chicken caesar salad. All foods that begin with "fake" freak me out. I like to eat minimally processed foods or things that start with the word fresh. Just a thought.
- They recommend you give up coffee, alcohol, dairy, meat and sugar.....BORING! Have we heard of something called MODERATION! Hello!?
Have an amazing weekend!