Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Know Your Body: Heart Rate Monitor

Jessica has the Polar FT4 & I have an older Polar F6.



Sarah's F6

Jessica's FT 4















I started using a heart rate monitor a few years ago and I must say it has completely changed my workout!  I work out more efficiently in less time and know exactly when my body is starting to plateau from a routine.  You can program the HRM with your age and weight so that it gives you exactly how many calories you burn and where your heart rate should be working to get the most out of your workout.  Don't trust the calorie counters on the machines at the gym.  They are incredibly inaccurate (off by at least 100 calories).  

The best brand of watches is Polar and they are about $75 if you go on Amazon or Ebay!  

Below is a chart that breaks down your heart rate by age and type of workout.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a shout out at Get Up & Go! I always respond to your questions, thoughts and suggestions.